Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Granola

My sister gave Jaimie and me a mason jar of home made granola for the holidays.  After we each ate our individual baggies of it, I mentioned to Jaimie when I got home from work that I couldn't stop eating it and couldn't stop thinking about having more.  We then ate the entire mason jar of granola and labeled it "crack granola."  Yes, it's that good.

I e-mailed my sister and asked her for the recipe.  The recipe goes something like this.

Take a 9x13 pan and cover the bottom with a decent layer of oats (maybe 4 cups or so).  Then add your other proteins.  We added pistachios, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and a mix of nuts that was almost gone so I used it up.  You can add what seeds or nuts you want.


Then bake that at 350 for 10-20 minutes.  We baked for 15. 

A couple minutes before it's done baking, put your stuff that will become liquid in a pan.  We used peanut butter, honey and molasses.


You can also use other nut butters or maple syrup (I'm hoarding what little maple syrup we have left so none went into our mix).  You will heat it only until it becomes soft and will easily spread over the oat mixture.  If you want chewier granola, add more liquids.  For dry granola, add less. We like it chewy and had about 2 1/2 cups altogether.

Take your oats out of the oven and put your liquid mix in.  Mix it up so it's all coated.


Let it dry for a couple hours.  This is the difficult part because it is nearly impossible not to nibble on some as you are passing near it.

When it's cool, crack it up and then add your fruits.  In ours, we have coconut shavings, dates, figs, craisins, dried strawberries and dried peaches.  Add whatever you'd like, but I think that one of the reasons that the granola we received as a gift was so delicious was because of the figs.


If you are able to resist eating it all as is, you can add it to yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment