Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dutch Baby (aka Panakuken)

We had a Dutch Baby for breakfast a week ago Sunday, and Shelly wanted me to post about it (Jaimie is writing this post).  I found the recipe for Dutch Baby in the Joy of Cooking that Shelly inherited from her sister when she crossed over.


 Shelly really likes panakuken.  In fact, one of our early dates was to the only remaining Panakuken Huis restaurant that we could find.  That night she had a fruit filled one and I had savory.  I promised her that I would find a recipe and make it for her while we were camping, and began the search.  I didn't find a recipe I liked, so I never actually made it camping (though I could now).  When I began perusing the Joy of Cooking, I found the recipe for Dutch Baby.


Basically, it's almost exactly the same recipe as Yorkshire Pudding or Toad in the Hole (the English version, not an egg in the middle of bread), minus the sausages.  In case you can't read the recipe above, preheat the oven to 425.  Whisk the following together until smooth:  1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 large, room temp eggs. Next, on the stovetop over medium heat, melt 4 tbs (1/2 stick) unsalted butter.


Tilt the pan to coat all sides and pour the egg mixture in.  Cook for one minute without stirring.  Place in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes, or until puffed and golden.  Serve immediately or it will go flat.  I like to top with fruit, so I heat whatever fruit I can find in the cold room or freezer.  Usually it's apple pie filling, but if I use frozen fruit I'll add a bit of sugar to draw out the juices, and let it heat on the stove while the pancake cooks.  That's apple pie filling (homemade, of course) in the pan at the back of the stove and the pancake batter in the bowl next to the stove.  Below is the pancake just prior to topping, and half of the pancake on my plate just before I ate it.  It was yummy.



The Joy of Cooking says you can double the recipe and cook in a 12x9 glass baking dish, if you want.  Just extend the cooking time to 15-17 minutes.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment